The leafy oasis of Shamian Island, which was acquired as a foreign concession in 1859 after the two Opium Wars, is a peaceful respite from the city. Back in 19th century, the British and French were granted permission to set up their warehouses on this “sand surface island”. The sandbank was connected to the mainland by several bridges, with iron gates that prohibited any Chinese from entering the island. Major renovation has restored some of the buildings to their original appearance, making the island a popular tourist attraction.
Liwan District, Guangzhou, Guangdong Province, China Guangzhou China